- Being aware of the child's emotions
- Recognizing the emotion as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching (We may use to think that it is better if our child don't show any bad emotions but actually this is not true. As a Chinese saying, a crisis may seen as an opportunity)
- Listening empathetically and validating the child's feelings (This has to be done in sincere. Your kids may feel bad if you do it in a wrong way. ex."Yes honey, i know you are sad, ok, you can go to bed now")
- Helping the child verbally label the emotions
- Setting the limits while helping the child problem-solve (Setting limit is very important especially if it involved legal issue, eg fighting with his friends)
Overall, i found that this is a good book whcih has provided me a guidance on how to deal with my kids's emotional in a better way for sure!