Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Recently i read about this article by Amy Chua who is a professor at Yale Law School and author of "Day of Empire". The title itself is already very catchy - Why chinese mothers are superior. It might make all the chinese mother proud of themselve after reading this article. However, as a chinese mom myself, i don't think i am the type of the mother she described. She has two very outstanding daughter and she believe that discipline and hardwork make them successful. She don't allow TV or computer game for her kids. She insist them to practice piano or violin many hours each days. I don't think I can or I want to train my daughter like this. I can't see them crying while practicing any of the music instruments hours and hours unless they show interest. I would rather give them some happy childhood. There is no "B" in the Chua's family. I disagreed with this too. The world is not perfect and sometimes we may failed to score A, and i think it is perfectly fine. As long as we try our best and we learn from the mistake. I worry that giving too much pressure to the kids will develop depression. Every year when the major school exam result is out, there are news of failed student getting suicide. I will never want this to happen to my family. Anyway, all parents want their kids to be successful in life, but the measurement of successful is really depends on each individual's interpretation.

1 comment:

ChorEW said...

Totally agree with you!
We want our kids to success, but more important is the path to success. They must learn from failure, overcome obstacles, and become then stronger....